Speakers BiomimicryNL Boost Festival - 23 October 2020
Michael Laterveer - Blue Linked
About this Talk (in English):
Information will follow soon
Blue Linked, a research and consultancy and management agency in the area of the marine environment, was founded in 2011 by Michaël Laterveer (1963). Before that, Michaël worked for more than 15 years as a marine biologist in Diergaarde Blijdorp (Rotterdam), where he was closely involved in the design and construction of the Oceanium. As a curator, manager and professional diver, Michaël was responsible for, among other things, the daily management of a team of animal handlers, lab technicians, divers, technicians, students and volunteers. He was also founder of the marine laboratory of the Oceanium, where marine organisms are cultivated and scientific research takes place. Michaël also formed the basis of the public laboratory, where visitors are given a look at the cultivation activities and the research.
Blue Linked's core activities are aquaculture and coral reef restoration projects using sexual reproductive techniques. Blue Linked operates from a strong scientific foundation, combining this with long term practical experience built up in public aquaria. Blue Linked’s strength is this unique combination of theory and practice.
Blue Linked's activities include:
- Design and management of public aquaria and research laboratories.
- Cultivation of marine algae, zooplankton (food animals), fish and marine invertebrates such as corals.
- Designing protocols for cultivation techniques and dive activities in public aquaria.
- Designing, running and coordinating conservation projects and workshops based on the sexual reproduction of corals.
- Co-organising and participating in scientific expeditions.
- Forging alliances between various parties including conservation agencies, commercial enterprises, scientists and government.